Thursday, February 09, 2006

Part of the Problem

The Scene
  • Walking home from work.. in a hurry to make it in time to meet some folks at Rumors for a slo-pitch fundraiser.
  • Moving along Portage Ave near a major downtown hotel.
  • Two very 'messed up' fellows are staggering against the wall. As I'm at the intersection waiting for traffic to clear so I can cross to the sidewalk they are on one of them swings a haymaker and knocks the other one down... hard. The punch recipient smacked his head on the hard ground and lays there for about 15 seconds.

    The Choice
  • Stop and see if I can help (though I likely couldn't anything besides call an ambulance and wait)
    OR
  • walk on past and think of it as just one other poor soul on the streets of Winnipeg that'll have to fend for themselves because "Hey! How much will it really help if I spend 30 minutes waiting for an ambulance to take this guy to a hospital who'll likely discharge him so he can go out and damage himself again in a few hours?"

    The Decision
    I walked past as I saw his friend was beginning to pick him up. I also noticed many other people looking at the scene and pausing briefly before walking on, as I did.

    The Result
    I feel guilty. Not because I forgot about this the moment I got home and had to plan my evening. Not even because I walked past this person needing help.
    I feel guilty because after I got 3 steps past him, I pretty much forgot completely about him.

    I dismissed another human being.
    Do I deserve any better if I find myself in an unfortunate state?

  • 2 Comments:

    Blogger Jo said...

    I hate when that happens. The whole point is to surround yourself with friends that won't sucker punch you.
    You obviously didn't really forget him or the situation, even though you briefly did.

    9/2/06 20:23  
    Blogger Blondie said...

    a defining moment - you didn't forget about him. Now the rest of us are wondering what we would have done - food for thought...

    9/2/06 20:58  

    Post a Comment

    << Home