Friday, March 10, 2006

Not Bitter-Sweet... Just not 'As Sweet'

If you're reading this you likely saw my post from Tuesday about our big game against Trogdor.

For me, the excitement was finally, after 4 or 5 years of playing this game, I'm on a league team that is winning, AND has the chance to move in to the 'A' division.
I also have played with and against several of the members of Trogdor, and wanted to use them as a measuring stick for how well we've improved.

The result of tonight's match:
Johnny Chimpo 15
Trogdor 10.

Now why this isn't as sweet a victory as I had hoped.
Firstly, Trogdor is probably the nicest bunch of folks around. For a team named after a peasant stomping dragon, they sure are a good bunch. Regardless which team you're on, a good play was congratulated. There were jokes being shared on the field, and everyone was very spirited about foul and line calls (i.e. no arguments or rolled eyes when a foul was called).
Normally I find I have a somewhat guilty pleasure in enjoying a bit of 'poop disturbance' on the field. I never want to see an argument, or unfair play - but when there's a bit of tension because of frustration (on either team), I find the game seems more important to win, cuz you want to 'stick it to the other guy...' I know this isn't a healthy sense of competition, but it's true... AND I do make fair calls and play.

So all in all, playing a good bunch of folks (who are good at the game too) feels good just to play. And that's what was most fun tonight. As for the sweet taste of victory... It's actually kind of unfortunate we played the division crossover game against Trogdor and not some team of jerks, who treated us like vermin underdogs.

The other thing that makes me consider this slightly 'less sweet' than it normally would. I think they outplayed us a good 50 - 60% of the game. I'm thinking back and wondering how exactly we out-scored them by 5? I thought on a few occasions they were running us down with their handling (though we must have had decent coverage because they spent A LOT of time swinging the disc. Our offense was really quite brutal. At times our cutters (receivers) seemed like statues, and our handler (thrower) would be forced to make a hail mary pass that would sometimes work out in our favour. Mind you, I'm always hard on myself and my team. Maybe our win was more deserved than I feel.

so all in all, how do I feel about tonight?
A hard fought 'Disney-esque' win against a team of jerks and cheaters would have me beaming (and likely even gloating) for a couple days. As it is now - I'm glad we've moved up a division, as it was a goal for us.

For those dying to know my concern of the day "should I always offer?" - I'll finish that tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Blondie said...

Congratulations Huma - take the win. More than likely you & your team absolutely deserve it.

10/3/06 06:15  
Blogger Druski said...

Well Huma, I think you did deserve the win. Both teams fought hard (though amicably as noted) but made some errors on offence in particular. I think the key was you guys converted more chances near the endzone while we got off gameplan and got impatient as we neared the goal line. Anyway it was a good game and fun for us even if we didn't win.

As for your broader point... There is something particularly gratifying about beating a team you hate, but I see that as a bonus more than a requirement. I certainly don't feel less than satisfied after beating a team of friendly players. A win is a win, and if you feel you deserved it, enjoy the victory.

10/3/06 12:51  
Blogger rawbean said...

less cultimate talk, more other talk

13/3/06 22:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home